MacAllister Machinery

Indianapolis, IN

Founded in 1954, MacAllister Machinery became the leader for Caterpillar Tractor sales, and six decades later the need for a new corporate headquarters arose.  The new corporate headquarters consolidated services to one location; enabling the MacAllister employees to better serve their customers and communities through enhanced services, operations, and equipment offerings. 

Architecturally inspired by 1920s designs of Greene and Greene Architects, the craftsmen styled interior finishes and custom handcrafted furnishings program upholds the building design standard while supporting the needs of today’s workforce.  

A custom wood finish formula used by Greene and Greene in their early 20’s and 30’s designs was applied to fir flooring in the lobby and the executive office area.  Arts and Crafts style furniture was used throughout the facility.  Working alongside our design team, Mike Elliott of Jasper Desk customized their private office furniture, in both styling and finish, to accommodate the building’s period design. 

William Morris designed wallpapers from England were selected for the executive area.  Custom rugs, also designed in the fashion of William Morris, were handcrafted in the Middle East and installed over the facilities’ hardwood flooring to bring warmth to the workplace.  Attention was paid to cabinet and door hardware to emulate the period.  Craftsman style decorative lighting fixtures with metal, stained glass and wood details further enhanced the custom interiors.

The new 365,000 square foot building created a workplace culture promoting efficiency, teamwork, and communications by lowering the open office workstation partitions.  While maintaining perimeter offices, the interior floor plan was carefully organized to allow daylight to spill into the central core open office areas.  Dan Morris and Rachel Jackson from local furniture dealer, Office Works, assisted with the purchase, delivery and installation of facility’s massive quantity of furnishings. 

Carpet tile patterned to resemble tire tracks was reinforced the company brand while camouflaging boot mud tracked in by field office employees.  Factory floor end block wood was incorporated in the lobby so that large Caterpillar equipment could be displayed.